GlobalFoundries and STMicroelectronics To Build 300 mm Chip Together

They are working on the development of a manufacturing plant in France that will further the goals of the European Chip Act.

French-Italian company STMicroelectronics and U.S.-based GlobalFoundries are joining forces in the semiconductor market to build a new manufacturing plant on European soil.

The site chosen is France. Specifically, the town of Crolles, where STMicroelectronics already has facilities.

This manufacturing plant will focus on 300 mm semiconductors for mobile applications, the internet of things and automotive segments, using particular technologies based on an FD-SOI (Fully Depleted Silicon On Insulator) process. This includes GlobalFoundries’ FDX technology.

Reduced power consumption and easy integration of functions such as RF connectivity, mmWave and safety are among the objectives of this alliance.

The fab should be operating at full capacity by 2026, with an annual production of up to 620 000 300 mm wafers. GlobalFoundries will own 58 % and STMicroelectronics the remaining 42 %.

France will financially support this operation, which will contribute to the objectives of the European Chip Act. Europe aims to contribute 20 % of global semiconductor production by 2030.